Thursday, April 25, 2013
I-Spy Swap #3 - FULL (Leave Comment for waiting list)
This swap is now FULL! (It filled up in just 2 days!) If you'd like to be put on a list for me to notify when we do the next swap, you may leave a comment with your email address. It will probably be several months before we do another one.
I just mailed out the I-Spy Squares from the last swap this week. That swap filled up super fast (like in 3 days) and I have quite a few people on a wait list, so I thought we'd go ahead and do another I-Spy Swap. This will probably be the last I-Spy Swap for several months until I work through all my squares. (Of course I thought that would be the case after my first swap and then I was out of squares in a few weeks...so we'll see.)
I also thought we'd try for a slightly shorter time frame since I've heard from other swap leaders that people tend to be more on time with a shorter swap, so this time we'll say the squares are due in three weeks. That should still be plenty of time if you need to order fabric or you're mailing squares internationally.
Mail 200 I-Spy squares to me by May 15th.
Get 200 I-Spy squares back, all different, by May 25th.
PLEASE be sure you can meet the deadlines BEFORE you sign up!
1. The first 36 people to comment are in. [If you live outside the U.S., no problem -- but please mail your fabrics a little earlier so there's plenty of time to meet the deadline!] You will mail your squares with a postage paid envelope for me to mail them back to you.
2. Cut 20 4" squares out of each of 10 different novelty print quilt fabrics (NO flannel or textured fabric!). A 1/4-yard cut or fat quarter will get you 20 4" squares, so you will be purchasing a total of about 2 1/2 yards of fabric. This is NOTHING when you think about all the different squares you will be getting back!
3. In order to avoid duplicates, everyone will need to search out unusual or obscure prints. Look for things that aren't available at chain stores. But, please, pick FUN ones! If you love it, the other swappers will love it too! Please upload pictures of your fabric choices to the HLH I-Spy Swap flickr group as soon as possible after ordering and check the flickr group before you place your order. (If you order fabric online, many smaller shops will send you a picture.) If you're not able to post to the flickr group for some reason, email me the picture and I will add it. Please put Swap 3 somewhere in the picture title, so there will not be confusion with our last swap. I'll be deleting the previous swaps pictures soon.
4. Remember that we are looking for fabric with objects on it, not printy-prints. (A fabric with FLOWERS on it is very different from a FLORAL PRINT.)
5. NO "licensed" prints: No Disney, Dora, L.A. Lakers, etc.
6. Remember seam allowances! Be sure you can tell what you are looking at within a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" square. Nobody wants only half of an object in their square -- cut them well! (Depending on your fabric choice, you may need to buy more than 1/4 yard in order to get an object into each cut square.)
7. This is a double swap, so you can sign up for 2 spots if you want...but the fabrics for each swap need to be different. (If you have participated in previous swaps, it's okay if you can use prints you've used before.)
If you want to join me in this obsession, leave a comment here that includes your email address and first and last name!!
Remember: The FIRST 36 who comment (and leave their email address so I can contact you) are IN!
SERIOUS SWAPPERS ONLY...
Please read the guidelines before signing up!
Here are a few projects to entice and inspire you...
The I-Spy Unicorns Quilt I recently made for my niece. I grouped the squares into 4x4 blocks with similar colors. Even though most of the squares are just regular pictures, there are 9 unicorns in there somewhere. You can read more about it here.
Other I-Spy Quilts some friends and I made for donation to Seattle Children's Hospital (and the reason I'm constantly in search of more squares.)
I-Spy Scripture Case and Crayon Roll.
I'm hoping to have a post up soon about Becca's I-Spy Skirt and her twin sized I-Spy Quilt (which was actually the I-Spy Quilt top I worked on.
If you're wondering where to buy fabric, one of my favorite online retailers include Sisters and Quilters. Many online shops have a 1/2 yard or 1 yard minimum when ordering fabric, but Sisters and Quilters will let you build your own quarter yard/fat quarter bundles.
I've also had good experiences with Fabric.com. Their fabric is often marked down slightly from list prices and have a very large selection, but they have a 1/2 yard minimum for each fabric you order.
I'll be linking to: