I'd promised to make a couple quilts for a fundraiser to raise money for Histiocytosis (a rare cancer-like disease our neighbor has). I thought the Dr. Seuss prints would make a quilt that would appeal to a lot of people, and they didn't disappoint.
I've raved about the This Way and That Pattern from Sisters and Quilters before. It's a really fast and easy pattern to use to showcase some fun, loud prints...and Dr. Seuss definitely qualifies as fun and loud.
As usual, I couldn't quite leave the pattern alone. The scale of the Dr. Seuss fabrics is so big that I increased the size of the inner strip by an extra inch to make sure more of the picture showed, and I increased the size of the white strips by a half inch each to keep the proportions the same. This resulted in fewer blocks, since the blocks are larger, but I love the simplicity of it. I also strip pieced it by sewing strips together and cross cutting, so it sewed up really fast.
I also just used a thin solid-white border instead of a wider print border. (I'm not sure why...I've just never been much of a border person.)
There are a couple of Dr. Seuss fabric lines for sale now, and this has prints from a couple of them. I bought all the Dr. Seuss fabric from Sisters and Quilters. They sell a quilt kit for that includes the fabric and pattern, or you can do what I did and order a custom bundle and pick and choose just the fabrics you want.
The orange/yellow spotted fabric that I used for some of the squares and the binding is the only fabric that is not Dr. Seuss...that been hanging out in my stash for years, never quite matching anything...and then it almost just jumped into this quilt.
I was also determined to try out free-motion quilting for my first time. I almost chickened out and then had a huge fight with my sewing machine over tension...but I persevered and won. If you look closely, you can definitely tell that I'm no free-motion expert, but I love how it turned out and I'll definitely be trying more free-motion quilting in the future.
The quilt was just slightly too wide for my backing fabric, so I used the extra fabric left at the end of each strip from the strip piecing, sewed them in a line with another white strip in between and used them to add some interest to the back.
Overall, I loved how it turned out. It would have been really hard to give it away, except it was going to a great cause and some friends of ours ended up winning it in the raffle. (Of course in a small town like this, just about anyone who entered the raffle is a friend of ours, so I knew it would go to a good home.
Before giving it it's final wash and sending it on it's way, we had some fun taking pictures with it. I was hoping to get one of Anson in his Dr. Seuss shirt reading on it...
...we even tried setting the book up ahead of time...
Please show my sponsors some love...
|Tuxedo Collection Fabric Bundle - From Sisters and Quilters||Create You Own Fat Quarter Bundle From Sisters and Quilters||This Way and That with Cat in the Hat Quilt KIT- From Sisters and Quilters|