Ithis tutorial for making baby ties on sei Lifestyle, and loved it. I got this free box of funky ties from someone on FreeCycle a couple weeks ago, so it was perfect timing. I've been wanting to try this for a week or so, but whenever I get a chance my husband hasn't been around to tie the tie for me...so I looked it up online. I found this site and ended up with this. (One note...some ties are wider than others. The one I used was on the narrower side. Some are wide enough that the back part could be used for a toddler/young boy, and some the back is only wide enough for a baby tie...and for some of the wider ones, they'd be too wide to use the front for a toddler, but you could make one for an older boy with them.)I followed the directions to the "Half-Windsor" knot doing it with the small end instead of the big end. As the instructions in the original tutorial say, I sewed the knot well in place by slip stitching just about anywhere I could. Then I cut the "neck" part as well as the extra, so I could add elastic. One thing I wondered when I saw the tutorial was...could you make a second matching tie?...and the answer is yes...as long as it's for a small child. There's not enough to make another one for Dad...unless Dad is really REALLY short. I got this when I tied the rest of the tie. The knot is a little thicker than I'd like because it's actually further down the tie than it would be tied for an adult, but it works. I decided to make these for Patti's boys...my awesome friend who helped me with the puppet theater, so I took the bigger one with me when we worked on the puppet theater to see how much we would need to shorten it. I figured I could trim a little off the biggest part, fold it under and slipstitch it...but Patti liked it just the way it was.
I finished them up with the elastic just a bit differently than they did on sei Lifestyle. I used buttonhole elastic. I figured thatway, it would be more adjustable and could fit the boys longer...especially the older one since this tie was a bit big for his size. I went inside and trimmed the interfacing down about a quarter inch and then trimmed the corners of that off. This will reduce the bulk a bit. I sewed the elastic to the FRONT side of one end with about a quarter inch seam. Fold the seam allowance against the tie.