As I've mentioned before, our older kids are adopted. Boy's birthfather and wife have a baby girl on the way, and we wanted to send them something for her. I had a cute print onesie and some little green pants that didn't clash, but weren't really a "cute" outfit either.
I used this technique to scan the onesie pattern and make an applique pattern from it. I wasn't thrilled with the way the flowers looked when I traced them onto the Heat'n Bond, but they really came to life when I got them all on the pants. I used this method to sew the flower stems. To have enough room to manuever the sewing machine, you'll need to open up one of the seams for the pants and then resew them. For these pants I opened up the inside seam, but it really doesn't matter which one you use. The appliques are all made out of knit scraps from old T-shirts because they won't fray.
I'm really happy with how it turned out.
Even though I can't seem to color inside the lines. There's something about having an applique go just beyond the typical boundaries that has always appealed to me.
Too bad you only get these flat pictures since I don't have a newborn baby to try them on.
I didn't make a printable for these since the flowers were made to match the onesie, but if anyone really wants one, I could scan it in.