UPDATE: This swap is now closed. Both swaps filled up and all the squares have been distributed. I will probably be hosting another swap in a few months, so if you're interested, send me an email (or respond to this post) and I'll send you an email when we get another swap going.
If you've never done an I-Spy Swap, I should warn you, it's addicting...cutting up all those neat little squares of fun fabric will just leave you wanting more. Becca, my little 3-year-old helper, agrees. She doesn't get to help cut, but she LOVES helping me sort the fabric into sets. It makes sense...she's our child that loves any kind of I-Spy book.
So after just having just participated in my very first I-Spy Swap on Hammer and Thread, I've decided to host my own.
I thought about waiting until after the holidays to begin the swap, but there are so many great sales on fabric this time of year, I thought everyone might want to order their fabric now and then wait to do the cutting and mailing until after the holiday. (Although you can get yours all cut and mailed in early too.)
Mail 200 I-Spy squares to me by February 1st.
Get 200 I-Spy squares back, all different, by February 15th.
PLEASE be sure you can meet the deadlines BEFORE you sign up!
1. The first 38 people to comment are in. [If you live outside the U.S., no problem -- but please mail your fabrics a little earlier so there's plenty of time to meet the deadline!] You will mail your squares with a postage paid envelope for me to mail them back to you.
2. Cut 20 4" squares out of each of 10 different novelty print quilt fabrics (NO flannel!). A 1/4-yard cut or fat quarter will get you 20 4" squares, so you will be purchasing a total of about 2 1/2 yards of fabric. This is NOTHING when you think about all the different squares you will be getting back!
3. In order to avoid duplicates, everyone will need to search out unusual or obscure prints. Look for things that aren't available at chain stores. But, please, pick FUN ones! If you love it, the other swappers will love it too! Please upload pictures of your fabric choices to the HLH I-Spy Swap flickr group as soon as possible after ordering and check the flickr group before you place your order. (If you order fabric online, many smaller shops will send you a picture.) If you're not able to post to the flickr group for some reason, email me the picture and I will add it.
4. Remember that we are looking for fabric with objects on it, not printy-prints. (A fabric with FLOWERS on it is very different from a FLORAL PRINT.)
5. NO "licensed" prints: No Disney, Dora, L.A. Lakers, etc.
6. Remember seam allowances! Be sure you can tell what you are looking at within a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" square. Nobody wants only half of an object in their square -- cut them well! (Depending on your fabric choice, you may need to buy more than 1/4 yard in order to get an object into each cut square.)
7. This is a double swap, so you can sign up for 2 spots if you want...but the fabrics for each swap need to be different.
If you want to join me in this obsession, leave a comment here that
includes your email address!!
Remember: The FIRST 38 who comment (and leave their email address so I can contact you) are IN!
*IF by chance we don't make it to the full double swap,
we'll do a single swap with the first 18 and save the rest
of the swappers for the next swap.
SERIOUS SWAPPERS ONLY...
Please read the guidelines before signing up!
Many online shops have a 1/2 yard or 1 yard minimum when ordering fabric. It can sometimes be a challenge to find shops online that will let you select your own fat quarters or quarter yard cuts. Two shops I've found that are excellent sources of 1/4 yards are Sisters and Quilters where they let you build your own fat quarter bundle for any number of fat quarters.
Also, the Fabric Fox has an AMAZING selection of novelty fabrics and even though most of the listings are for whole yards, you can ask for a custom listing with 1/4 yard cuts or fat quarters instead.
Please show my sponsors some love...
|Urban Zoologie - Bright Dinosaurs - From Sisters and Quilters||Build Your Own Fat Quarter Bundle - 10 (Other amounts available)||Tuxedo Collection Fabric Bundle - From Sisters and Quilters|